Fakir Mohan College, Balasore
A commemorative postage stamp on the 75th Anniversary of the Fakir Mohan College in Balasore, Odisha :
Issued by India
Issued on Jul 6, 2019
Issued for : The College has completed 75 years of its establishment this year. Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Fakir Mohan College, Balasore.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Smt. Vinita Sinha
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 601880
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Fakir Mohan College was established on 6 July, 1944. The college, initially known as Baleshwar College, was started as a second grade college with 96 seats for Intermediate in Arts course. In 1946, the Bachelor of Arts class was introduced and Intermediate in Science was introduced in 1948. Ultimately, after more than a decade, the Bachelor of Science class was started in 1961-62.
- Now the institution provides education up to post-graduate level in Arts, Science and Commerce. To accommodate the increasing demand for courses and student enrolment, separate blocks were constructed and infrastructure strengthened. It is a full-fledged Graduate and a growing Post-Graduate College, affiliated to Fakir Mohan University, Balasore. Located in the heart of Balasore City, the institution has relentlessly fostered learning and academic excellence, building up a huge corpus of illustrious alumni over the years. The Baleshwar College was the only institution of the type in the whole of the district in the pre-independence era. The College initially operated from the premises of the erstwhile Zilla School, until the School was shifted in 1961 to its new building. The College was renamed as Fakir Mohan College in 1949 after the eminent Oriya poet and novelist late Fakir Mohan Senapati who was the son of the soil.
- In 1999, the Institute was granted Autonomous status by the U.G.C. and in 2001, the +2 wing was separated. At present, Fakir Mohan Autonomous College has a student strength of 3500 covering Arts, Science and Commerce streams. Post-Graduate courses in Commerce commenced from 1979-80 followed later by P.G. in Mathematics, Physics, Political Science, Odia, Botany, Hindi and Psychology. Courses in self-financed mode are offered in Computer Science, Bachelor of Business Administration and 4-year Integrated Bachelor of Education course along with the skill development programme, Diploma in Tourism & Hospitality Management. In the current session, the UGC has also approved the course of Bachelor of Vocational Education.
- Significant milestones in the journey of the College include accreditation by NAAC in 2006 with B++ and re-accreditation in 2014. In 2006, the Institution was declared a centre with Potential for Excellence. Presently, the Institution is in readiness for the third cycle of re-accreditation. The college serves as a nodal centre for supervision and implementation of various Government schemes and policies of the region.
- The Vision of the College is to foster holistic development through academic excellence in teaching, learning and research; to inculcate appreciation for arts and culture and to help imbibe humanistic values along with consciousness of the importance of physical wellness. The Mission of the College inter alia is to nurture through continuous academic engagement, to inculcate values, rational approach, management and leadership skills; to encourage development through research activities, colloquium and workshops for faculty members; to encourage active participation in co-curricular activities; to encourage fitness of mind and body through participation in games and sports, yoga and meditation; and to provide a transformative journey leading to holistic development.
- Text : Based on information received from the proponent.