Grand Lodge of India
A commemorative postage stamp on the 50th Anniversary of the Grand Lodge of India (GLI), main governing body of Freemasonry within India :
Issued by India
Issued on Nov 25, 2011
Issued for : The Grand Lodge in India is celebrating its Golden Jubilee in November. India Post is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on ‘Grand Lodge of India‘ on the occasion of its Golden jubilee.
Stamp/FDC : Sankha Samanta
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : I.S.P. Nashik
- Freemasonry is one of the world’s largest and oldest secular fraternal organization promoting the principle of the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man. Its universal motto is spreading “Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth” which teaches secularism, respect, tolerance for all religions and belief in a Supreme Being, without reference to any religion. Freemasonry is an apolitical society encouraging charity and the practice of the moral virtues of Temperance, Fortitude, Prudence, Justice and extending the hand of fellowship and providing relief to those in distress.
- The exact date of origination of Freemasonry though not available but its present form originated in England in 1717. Freemasonry society in India was established in 1729 at Kolkata. The Indian Freemason society has more than 20,000 members. Its membership consists of a cross section of society drawn from all walks of life, who meet on an equal footing. The Masonic Lodge is the unit which a member joins as a Freemason. The apex body of Freemasonry is called ‘the Grand Lodge‘.
- On its origination, the lodges in India functioned under the aegis of Grand Lodges of England, Scotland and Ireland. After the Independence Lodges in India decided to constitute a sovereign body of Freemasonry and accordingly the Grand Lodge of India was consecrated on 24th November, 1961 at New Delhi.
- Some of the prominent Indian Freemasons include Swami Vivekananda, Sh. Motilal Nehru, Sh. C. Rajagopalachari and Sh. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed to name a few.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.