Complete set of 4 nos. of commemorative postage stamps on the Fashions of India : concept to the consumer : Fashion Designer, Costume Designing, Fashion Show and Mass Production :
Issued by India
Issued on Sep 6, 2019
Issued for : Department of Posts has tried to capture the stages in the entire process from conceptualization to the development of the finished product and is pleased to bring out a set of four Commemorative Postage Stamps portraying them.
Stamps/Miniature Sheet/First Day Cover/Brochure : Shri Suresh Kumar
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Miniature Sheet, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 1500 Paise (2) and 1000 Paise (2)
Stamps Printed : 5.0 Lakh each
Miniature Sheets Printed : 1.1 Lakh
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The story from the concept to the consumer is imbued with inspiration, ideation, labour and glamour. The metamorphosis from an idea to a pleasing product begins, more other than not, with inspiration. Paradoxically, fashion inspiration is an ongoing process in which the mind is trained to gather ideas. The sources of inspiration abound in nature, flora and fauna, the wild, culture, social values, customs and mores that vary from place to place.
- Every designer follows a process for design development. When starting a collection, a designer needs to consider the color story, design functionality, technical package and garment patterns. Some designers select an image, or series of images, to display their color story. Others use forecasting services which offer a variety of different color swatches, silhouette and textile forecasts.
- The world of design is never as easy as it looks. Designing a garment entails demographic and trend research, blending the research result with the brand image and translating it all to a collection – a process that requires a great deal of toil, time and attention to detail. One of the most important aspects in the process is the Technical Design. Though many people do not know about this process, developing the technical sketch and technical package is essential to move on to production.
- The technical package is similar to the drafting of the design. It shows graphic placement, points of measure, graded measurements, trim placement, seams, etc. Manufacturing a garment without a tech pack leads to difficulty when it comes to assembling of the garment. This is the last step in the development process. Garment patterns are the key ingredients to fit and styling. More returns happen because of fit issues than any other reason, especially among online sales. A well fit garment is worn more often and spends less time in the customer’s closet, which increases brand awareness and follow-up sales.
- Customer satisfaction and functionality are other very significant aspects that play a big role in designing a garment. The designer and product developer have to take into consideration what their customer desires in a specific garment. A garment is created by balancing function with design as well as the customer’s need for style, brand value and image. Designers, fashion forecasters, merchandisers, visual merchandisers and product developers work in unison to determine the direction of the product while moving from concept through technical sketch and display to finally putting the collection on rack for sale.
- Production can be either at customised level or for masses. Today, fashion industry is highly mechanised and with the help of augmented technology, fashion industry has grown manifold.
- Presenting “Indian Fashion – Concept to Consumer : Series 3…….”
- Text : Based on the material provided by Prof. Manika Walia.