Issued by India
Issued on Mar 10, 2005
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on Shri Madhavrao Scindia.
Stamp & FDC : Sankha Samanta
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paisa
Print Quantity : 0.6 Million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
Name : Madhavrao Jivajirao Scindia
Born on Mar 10, 1945 at Mumbai, India
Died on Sep 30, 2001 at Mainpuri district, Uttar Pradesh, India
- His tenure is aptly referred to as the ‘golden era’ of the Railways.
- As Minister of Civil Aviation and Tourism, he opened up Indian skies for the private airlines and provided new destinations for the Indian tourists.
- His tenure as Minister of Human Resource Development was brief but he outlined bold proposals to increase budget allocations for primary education and to set up the National Cultural Fund. He was deeply committed to the cause of education, in particular the education of girls. He was also the chairperson of quite a few educational institutions.
- His special area of interest apart from education, was wildlife preservation and development of sports, cricket and golf in particular. An avid cricket fan, Madhavrao Scindia presided over the destinies of Indian Cricket as President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India during 1990-93.
- He was widely acknowledged as one of the most promising leaders of his time. His popularity cut across party lines and he was admired by one and all.
- His untimely death at the age of 56 years in a plane crash near Kanpur was indeed a great loss to the nation.
- Text: Based on material given by the proponent.