Omanthur P. Ramaswamy Reddiar
A commemorative postage stamp on 40th Death Anniversary of O. P. Ramaswamy Reddiyar, 13th Chief Minister of Madras Presidency (1947-49) :
Issued on Aug 25, 2010
Issued for : India Post is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on Omanthur P. Ramaswamy Reddiar.
Stamp, FDC & Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.3 Million
Printing Process : Wet–Offset
Printers : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Name : Omandur P. Ramaswamy Reddiar
Born on Feb 1, 1895 at Omanthur, South Arcot, Madras Presidency, [now Villupuram district, Tamil Nadu], India
Died on Aug 25, 1970 at Vadalur, Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu, India
- Omanthur P. Ramaswamy Reddiar was born on 1st February 1895 at Omanthur in Villupuram District of Tamil Nadu to Shri Muthurama Reddiar and Smt. Aranaganayaki. He completed his high school education at Walter Scott High School at Tindivanam.
- He actively participated in the freedom movement and was imprisoned several times. He was the first Chief Minister of Madras Presidency on 23rd March 1947. He remained Chief Minister merely for two years, but in these two years he was able to implement several far reaching schemes. He banned the Devadasi system in the temples, he initiated the construction of a dam at Lower Bhavani Sagar and was instrumental in getting the dams constructed on Malampuzha River in Palaghat, Kerala and Periyar Hydro-electricity project.
- He advocated the need for the creation of Crop Insurance Scheme for farmers. He encouraged cooperative marketing for agricultural products.
- He ordered and implemented for the first time the entry of Dalits in Hindu temples by issuing specific Government orders. He was the first Chief Minister who established the Home Guard System to assist the local police. He introduced an Employment Exchange system.
- Omanthur P. Ramaswamy Reddiar is remembered as an efficient Chief Minister. He retired from active politics in 1962. After his retirement he dedicated himself to social activities by establishing Appar Orphanage and Vallalar High School.
- He passed away on 25th August, 1970.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.