A commemorative postage stamp on the Death Anniversary of Govindaswamy Karuppiah Moopanar, founder of Tamil Maanila Congress (TMC) party :
Issued by India
Issued on Aug 30, 2010
Issued for : India Post is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on G.K. Moopanar.
Stamp/FDC/Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.3 Million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nasik
Name : Govindaswamy Karuppiah Moopanar
Born on Aug 19, 1931 at Kapisthalam, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India
Died on Aug 30, 2001 at Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- Shri Govindasamy Karuppiah Moopanar, better known as G.K. Moopanar, was born on 19 August 1931, at Kapisthalam Village in Thanjavur District at Tamil Nadu to Shri R Govindasamy Moopanar and Smt. Saraswathy Ammal.
- While his family circumstances did not allow him to continue studies beyond high school he went on to learn English and Hindi also apart from his mother tongue Tamil.
- In 1950, he came into contact with the Congress party stalwart Shri Kamaraj and became his staunch follower. Devoting himself fully to the activities of the Congress party, in the due course he became the President of the District Congress Committee, and was a member of the State Congress Committee, before working his way up to the national scene as a member of the Rajya Sabha from 1977 to 1989 and also General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee from 1980 to 1988. In February 1988 he became the President Tamil Nadu Congress Committee, and in 1989 he became the Leader of the Congress Party in the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly. In 1996 Shri G.K. Moopanar split from the Congress and floated a new political party called, the “Tamil Maanila Congress“.
- A great statesman and political leader, Shri G.K. Moopanar served as the President of Thiruvaiyaru Thiyaga Brahma Sabha, and the Co-operative Society of Chandrasekarapuram. He breathed his last on 30th August 2001.
- Text : Based on materials provided by the proponent.