Pakistan on 1990 Men’s Hockey World Cup
A commemorative postage stamp on the 7th World Field Hockey Cup, Lahore (12-23 February 1990) :
Issued by Pakistan
Issued on Feb 12, 1990
Issued for : To commemorate 7th World Hockey Cup, Lahore, Pakistan Post Office is issuing a stamp of Rs. 2/- denomination on February 12, 1990.
Design : The hockey players are shown artistically and symbolically in sketchy form in action through stain glass effect. The logo of the 7th World Hockey Cup is depicted on the left hand margin of the stamp.
Designer : Mr. Mohammad Ali Khan (PSPC)
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Denomination : Rs. 2/-
Colours : Multi Colour
Size of stamp : 61.5 x 28 mm
Size of print : 56.5 x 23 mm
Perforation : 13C
Paper : 102 gms dual purpose coated PVA gum
Quantity : Four million
Number of stamps in a sheet : 27 stamps (3 x 9 rows)
Process of printing : Litho Offset
Printer : Pakistan Security Printing Corporation
- The idea of the World Cup was conceived by the Pakistan Hockey Federation some time in the late 1960s and the beautiful trophy for the winner was designed and donated by Pakistan.
- At FIH Council meeting held on October 26, 1969, it was decided to hold a World Cup Competition. The first World Hockey Cup tournament was held in 1971 in Barcelona, Spain. Pakistan donated the World Cup worth Rs. 600,000 (US $ 30000). His Excellency, the then Ambassador of Pakistan in Belgium, handed over World Cup to the FIH President on March 27, 1971.
- The 7th World Hockey Cup will be organised by the Pakistan Hockey Federation on behalf of the International Hockey Federation. Pakistan will have the honour of holding the World Championship for the first time in a most befitting manner.
- Hockey is national game of Pakistan. The World Cup will, be a memorable occasion in the history of sports in Pakistan. Hundreds of thousands of hockey fans are expected to throng the National Hockey Stadium, Lahore during the tournament.
- Lahore, the city of culture, gardens and repository of Mughal Empire, welcomes the participants to the 7th World Hockey Cup to be held at National Hockey Stadium, Lahore from 12th to 23rd February 1990. Apart from participating teams, top ranking officials and technical officials of Federation of International Hockey are coming to supervise the World Hockey Cup tournament from all over the world.
- The 7th World Hockey Cup is the most prestigious Hockey Tournament. Teams from all over the globe will be participating. The teams have been divided into two pools. Pool ‘A’ consists of Argentina, Australia, France, Holland, India, USSR. Pool ‘B’ comprises of Canada, England, Ireland, Pakistan, Spain and West Germany. The matches on the two pitches are to be played on League basis. The winners of Pool ‘A’ will play against runners-up of Pool ‘B’ and winners of Pool ‘B’ will play against runners-up of Pool ‘A’ for the semi-finals. The winners of these matches will play finals of the championship. The remaining eight teams will compete in classification matches.
- Newly constructed National Hockey Stadium shall be the venue of the 7th World Hockey Cup. It is located in a posh locality at Lahore and has a very pretty and picturesque surroundings. The Stadium has the capacity for 50,000 spectators providing all the amenities to players, organisers and spectators.
- National Hockey Stadium, Lahore is one of the best and biggest hockey stadiums in the world with the latest brand of system-90 Astro Turf pitch. The practising pitch has the system-5 Astro Turf. The provision of 2nd pitch astro-turf was a must for the organisation of the World Hockey Cup competition. The new Astro Turf has been laid on the eastern side of the National Hockey Stadium. This was a challenging task; but the work was accomplished in the stipulated period.
- To facilitate working of international Press during World Cup tournament, special telecommunication arrangements have been improvised at the National Hockey Stadium with the active assistance of Telecommunication Authorities. Temporary telex, fax and international telephone have been installed besides other facilities including establishment of a temporary Post Office which will also sell postage stamps commemorating the 7th World Hockey Cup.
- Pakistan has distinction of winning World Hockey Cup in 1971 (Barcelona – Spain), 1978 (Buenos Aires – Argentina), 1982 (Bombay – India) and Silver Medal in 1975 (Kuala Lumpur). These achievements are yet unparalleled. Pakistan had during the past few years facing a bad patch in international competitions; but is now facing the coveted World Hockey Cup competition with confidence. The statistical record of the World Hockey Cup since its inception is as follows :–
Venue No. of Teams Victory Stand Year Place Country Winner Runners-up 3rd position 1971 Barcelona Spain 10 Pakistan Spain India 1973 Amsterdam Holland 12 Holland India W. Germany 1975 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 12 India Pakistan W. Germany 1978 Buenos Aires Argentina 12 Pakistan Holland Australia 1982 Bombay India 12 Pakistan W. Germany Australia 1986 London G. Britain 12 Australia England W. Germany
- Mr. Bashir Moojid, the designer and artisan from the Pakistan‘s Army’s Corps at Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, had designed and shaped the World Cup Trophy as per the idea of the then PHF President. The World Cup is a magnificent trophy, 65 centimetre high and 11.56 kilograms in weight, made from gold (895 grams), silver (6815 grams), ivory (350 grams) and teak wood (3500 grams). The trophy stands mounted on a 12 cms high blade base beautifully inlaid with ivory. The trophy itself consists of a globe depicting the world in silver and gold, on top of which is a ball and hockey stick with gold and silver.
- The insignia of World Cup carries two sticks, with a hockey ball, one at the top and second at the bottom of a round circle indicating the world. Pakistan Hockey Federation insignia has been plated in the middle of the World Cup. Colour scheme indicates green and white colours of Pakistan flag.
- Gold medals will be awarded to the winners, silver medals to the runners-up and bronze medals will be given to 3rd position. A specially donated ‘Cup’ will be given to the champion country.
- A cultural show of 1000 troupe will be presenting the folk dances of the four Provinces on the opening day.
- The 7th World Hockey Cup is a great historic occasion in the field of sports in Pakistan.
- (Contributed by : Pakistan Hockey Federation).
- Issued by: The Director General, Pakistan Post Office, Islamabad.