Complete set of 2 nos. of commemorative postage stamp on the “World Communications Year 1983” –“Better Communications means better living conditions” :
Issued by Pakistan
Issued on Oct 9, 1983
Issued for : In addition to the above mentioned programme a set of two postage stamps is being issued on October 9, 1983 to commemorate the World Communications Year.
Designer : Jabeen Sultana (PSPC)
Type : Stamps, Postal Used
Denominations : Rs. 3/- & Rs. 2/-
Rs. 3/- Yellow, blue, green and red
Rs. 2/- Yellow, maroon, brown & orange
Size of stamps :
Rs. 3/- 36.77 x 36.77 mm.
Rs. 2/- 44.50 x 32.50 mm.
Size of prints :
Rs. 3/- 32.77 x 32.77 mm.
Rs. 2/- 40.50 x 28.50 mm.
Perforation : 13 C
Quantity : 500,000 each denomination
No of stamps in one sheet :
Rs. 3/- (thirty)
Rs. 2/- (twenty eight)
Process of printing : Litho Offset
Printers : Pakistan Security Printing Corporation
- To emphasise the fundamental importance of ‘Communications’ as an essential element in the economic and social development of all countries, the United Nations General Assembly adopted resolution 36/40 on 19th November 1981 and proclaimed 1983 as the “World Communications Year”.
- The basic objectives of the Year as laid down by the General Assembly are:
- a) to provide an opportunity for all countries to review and analyse their policies on communications development and
- b) to stimulate the accelerated development of communications infrastructures.
- Next only to food, shelter and energy on the list of vital human needs, communications serve as a key factor in the social, economic and cultural development of nations. In the “World Communications Year 1983” attention is to be focussed on development of communications infrastructures at the national & international level.
- As the world today is getting smaller and smaller man’s needs to communicate grow even faster which has resulted in spiralling demand for more and more communication facilities. Therefore the development of communications infrastructures all over the world is the primary objective of the “World Communications Year”.
- Pakistan Post Office has taken the following measure in connection with the celebration of the “World Communications Year”:–
- i) A National Philatelic Exhibition namely “Pakphilax-83” is being organized during November, 1983.
- ii) A set of six commemorative stamps will be issued on the eve of National Philatelic Exhibition during November, 1983.
- iii) Letter writing competition for South Asian Region has been held recently to celebrate the “World Communications Year”. Three prizes shall be awarded alongwith stamp albums in addition to a souvenir and a medal to the first prize winner.
- iv) A letter writing competition at National level has also been held for selecting entries for world competition. Three prizes shall be awarded to national winners. In addition, albums of Pakistan postage stamps shall also be given to the winners.
- v) Special folders and stamp albums have been prepared for sale to general public and stamp collectors.
- vi) Senior Postal Officers shall contribute articles to the press on different aspects of postal services with special emphasis on the importance of communications for economic and social development and the need for removing the striking imbalance in the distribution of communications resources.
- vii) A Postal Service week shall be observed towards the end of November, 1983 to emphasise the importance of the post as a factor in National development.
- Issued by : The Director General, Pakistan Post Office, Islamabad.