A commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of the Patna Vishwavidyalaya, 1st university established in Bihar by 1917 :
Issued by India
Issued on Aug 25, 2018
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Patna University on its centenary.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Sh. Brahmprakash
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 6.026 lakh
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Patna University, the seventh oldest university in the Indian subcontinent and the first in Bihar, was founded by an Act of legislature on 1st October 1917. The University was established as an examining body and conducted examinations from matriculation to post graduation. Its jurisdiction mapped Bihar, Orissa and Nepal and for forty years since its inception Patna University was the arbiter of the academic destiny of these territories. The Patna University Act, 1951, which received the assent of the Governor on 6th July 1951, was passed with a view to establish a teaching and residential university at Patna. The Act defines that the purpose and powers of the university shall be to provide instruction to such branches of learning as the University may think fit including professional studies and technology, and for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge. It remained the only university in Bihar until January 1952 and continued to be the examining body of educational institutions in Nepal until the founding of Tribhuvan University in Kathmandu. With the founding of Utkal University this university ceased to be the examining body for institutions in Orissa.
- The history of Patna University parallels the history of the educational, cultural, political and economic growth of modern Bihar. It is the only teaching cum residential university in the state with a truly national character that transcends linguistic, cultural, political and other denominational boundaries. The outstanding personalities who have led India’s Freedom Struggle and have occupied or are now occupying coveted academic, administrative, judicial and political positions along with its reputed teachers and eager students have largely contributed towards its very rich academic heritage. Bihar has been an ancient seat of learning. Within its territory there were famous universities such as Nalanda and Vikramshila where students, teachers and scholars from various parts of Asia used to reside and learn.
- After independence, higher education being a major resource for economic progress and social transformation had to be popularized for the growth and development of the state. At that time it was felt that Patna University with its sound infrastructure ought to concentrate on scholarship teaching and research and divest itself of the responsibility of conducting various state level examinations.
- Today, Patna University has thirty post-graduate departments in the faculties of Humanities, Social Science, Science, Education, Commerce, Law and ten constituent colleges apart from Faculty of Medicine that is administered by the State Government. Most of the post-graduate departments are located in buildings that are a part of a distinguished architectural heritage of the state. Constituent colleges of Patna University such as Patna College, Science College, Magadh Mahila College, Patna Women’s College, B.N. College and Vanijya Mahavidyalaya also run post-graduate departments in select subjects under their respective college administrations. These courses fulfill the increased public demand for access to post-graduate study.
- The University is in the process of revitalizing its potential for excellence to provide students, researchers and teachers opportunities to excel in their disciplines and establish partnerships with Indian and off-shore universities to enhance scholarship and sharing of technology. The UGC Academic Staff College through orientation and refresher courses, seminars and workshops reminds the academic community of the need to update knowledge and refurbish teaching and communication skills.
- Located centrally, at the hub of the university campus, is the Central Library that meets the needs of students, teachers and research scholars. The computerized library is connected to INFLIBNET. Users can access four hundred thousand books, eighty-seven periodicals, fifty thousand back issues of journals and more than five thousand rare manuscripts. In an age of information and communication technology the frontiers of time and space are ever expanding and the University is in the process of equipping teachers and students with contemporary techniques, skills and knowledge to face various professional challenges. Of the ten constituent colleges, three are exclusively meant for women students while in the other coeducational institutions including post graduate departments the number of women students is substantial. Patna University has always been sensitive to the needs of the socially and economically disadvantaged and students with special needs. For co-curricular participation and holistic development of a student, agencies such as the NSS, NCC, Sports and Cultural Activities Boards and numerous learned Societies encourage these talents. Students of Patna University have performed with great distinction at university, state and national levels.
- Text : Based on the material received from proponent.