A commemorative postage stamp on the 1st Death Anniversary of Panakkad Shihab Thangal, President of Kerala state committee of Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) (1975-2009) :
Issued on Aug 1, 2010
Issued for : India Post is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on Syed Mohammad Ali Shihab Thangal.
Stamp, FDC & Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.3 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Name : Panakkad Syed Mohammedali Shihab Ba–Alawi Al–Hussainy Pookoya Thangal
Born on May 4, 1936 at Malappuram, Malabar, British India
Died on Aug 1, 2009 at Malappuram, Kerala, India
- Syed Mohammed Ali Shihab Thangal was born on 04th May 1936 at Panakkad near Malappuram, Kerala. His father P.M.S.A. Pookaya Thangal was a freedom fighter and spiritual leader.
- After the preliminary religious studies and high school he went to Egypt for higher studies. During 1956-1966 he studied at the illustrious Al Azhar and Cairo Universities in Egypt. He acquired a Postgraduate degree in Arabic linguistics. He was also a scholar of Sufi traditions. An accomplished scholar, he often wrote articles on Indian culture, literature and religion etc. His collection of essays in Malayalam “Religion–Society–Culture“ won the S.K. Pottekad Award constituted in memory of the Jnanapeeth Laureate.
- Education and philanthropic services were his special area of activities. He was actively associated with a large number of educational institutions, among them the Mampad College which was the first regular college in East Eranad, an educationally backward area of erstwhile Malabar and the Nooriya Jamiya lslamiyya of Pattikkad. He had the vision of imparting quality education with value based orientation to students. His commitment and involvement in the socio-educational upliftment of the downtrodden was deeply appreciated.
- He led an exemplary life and was a role model for political leaders and social workers. His home was a beehive of activities and was frequented by visitors from every walk of life. He led the Kerala Muslim League as President & was its leader for over three decades.
- Syed Mohammed Ali Shihab Thangal was an influential leader of high repute who contributed much to the consolidation of secular democratic traditions of the State. He breathed his last on 01 August 2009.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.