India on XII International Leprosy Congress 1984
A commemorative postage stamp on the 12th International Leprosy Congress, New Delhi :
Issued by India
Issued on Feb 20, 1984
Issued for : The Indian Posts and Telegraphs Department is happy to issue a special stamp on this occasion.
Description of Designs : The stamp, designed by J. P. Irani, depicts the emblem of the International Leprosy Association flanked by two faces of the globe. The first day cover has been designed by J. P. Irani. The cancellation has been designed by Alka Sharma.
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 100 Paise
Overall size : 4.06 x 2.73 cms.
Printing size : 3.71 x 2.56 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Unwatermarked adhesive stamp paper
Number printed : 15,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 40
Printing process : Photogravure
Printed at : India Security Press
- The International Leprosy Association is an association of leprologists throughout the world. The members of the Association meet once in five years to discuss about the latest developments in leprosy.
- At the XIth Congress held in Mexico in 1978, the Hind Kusht Nivaran Sangh (Indian Leprosy Association), with the approval of the Government of India, had extended an invitation to the International Leprosy Association to hold its next Congress in New Delhi, India. The members of the International Leprosy Association unanimously accepted the invitation.
- This will be the first time many of our young leprologists will be attending the International Leprosy Congress in large numbers. Over 1200 delegates from 120 countries are likely to participate in the Congress.
- The activities of the International Leprosy Association include :
- 1. Publication of International Journal of Leprosy quarterly.
- 2. Giving suggestions to various governments on their leprosy control programmes.
- 3. The International Leprosy Association, being on various committees of the WHO and allied health agencies, advises these agencies on leprosy control programmes.
- 4. It is also responsible for holding the International Leprosy Congress once in five years.
- The XIIth International Leprosy Congress from 20th to 25th February, 1984 is being organised under the auspices of the IIKNS and the Government of India. Most of the eminent leprologists in the world are attending this Congress. A special feature of this Congress is the introduction of teaching and training sessions through slide, tape and video presentations. Eight sessions dealing with all aspects of leprosy are being presented to young leprologists.
- Armauer Hansen, a Norwegian leprologist was the physician who identified the leprosy bacilli. The causation of the disease was not known until he identified the organism under the microscope. Leprosy is also known as Hansen’s Disease.
- (Text Courtesy : XII International Leprosy Congress).