A commemorative postage stamp on the 175th Anniversary of the Wilson College, Mumbai :
Issued on Dec 11, 2007
Issued for : India Post is pleased to issue a postage stamp to commemorate 175 glorious years of Wilson College.
Stamp : Ms. Bharati Mirchandani
FDC & Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolor
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nasik
- The high intellectual rigour and moral excellence of the people who guided the college, saw three of it first four Principals as Vice Chancellors of the University of Bombay, followed by many distinguished alumni holding the same position.
- Fostering a tradition of liberalism and freedom, the Scottish Principals inspired many students to be at the centre stage of freedom struggle, Usha Mehta, Acharya Kriplani, S. A. Dange, Aloo Dastoor, B. G. Kher to mention a few.
- Wilson College gave India its only Prime Minister from Bombay – Morarji Desai, and the Bharat Ratna recipients P. V. Kane and D. V. Karve are also proud alumni of the institution. In 1952, the Management of college came under and autonomous Board of Governors in India. Since 1963, the college is under the John Wilson Education Society.
- Today Wilson College is one of the few colleges in Mumbai which offer a very wide variety of subjects in the Arts, Science and Vocational stream, along with undergraduate courses in Management Studies and Mass Media.
- The aim and guiding principle remains “to produce intellectually well trained, morally upright, socially conscious and spiritually oriented men and women.”
- Text : Based on material provided by the proponent.