36th International Geological Congress, New Delhi
Complete set of 2 nos. of commemorative postage stamps on the 36th International Geological Congress (IGC) based on Geosciences : The Basic Science for a Sustainable Future :
Issued by India
Issued on Mar 20, 2022
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue Commemorative Postage Stamps on 36th International Geological Congress and celebrates the role of IGC to encourage the advancement of fundamental and applied research in the Earth Sciences world-wide.
Stamps / FDC / Brochure : Shri Anuj
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamps, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 & 1000 Paise
Stamps Printed : 311100 Each
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Described as the Olympics of Geosciences, the International Geological Congress (IGCs) are held quadrennially, under the aegis of the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS), the Scientific Sponsor of the IGCs. They draw participants to the tune of around 5000-7000 delegates from all over the world.
- During the mid 19th century, the necessity of holding an International Congress was strongly felt among the community of geologists in Europe and North America. On occasion of the meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science held in Buffalo, New York, USA, in 1875, a Committee was formed to consider the organization of an International Congress on Geology. The French Geological Society, under President Tournouër, accepted the request and formed an Organizing Committee chaired by Professor E. Hébert. The Committee persuaded the French Government to provide support for convening an international gathering and succeeded to host the First International Geological Congress, as one of 32 Congresses held by the French Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce in the Trocadero Palace. Since then, 35 Congresses have been hosted by more than 21 countries throughout the world at 3 to 5 year intervals.
- The International Geological Congress (IGC) is a nonprofit scientific and educational organization whose meetings are held in collaboration with, and under sponsorship of the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS). IUGS holds its General Assemblies in conjunction with Sessions of the IGC. The main purpose of the Congress is to encourage the advancement of fundamental and applied research in the Earth Sciences world-wide.
- The 36th IGC, themed “Geosciences: The Basic Science for a Sustainable Future” is scheduled to be held during 20-22 March 2022 on a virtual platform. The event is patroned by the Ministry of Mines and Ministry of Earth Sciences with the scientific support from the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and Science Academies of Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Geological Survey of India is the nodal organization of the event.
- The 36th IGC Society named “36th International Geological Congress” was created on 27th April 2016 under the Society Registration Act, 1860, in accordance with the approval of the Cabinet in its meeting held on 2nd March 2016. Among others, the objective of the Society was to assume full responsibility of all legal, financial, planning and organizational issues of 36th International Geological Congress (IGC) and post 36th IGC from year 2020 to function for promotion and advancement of Geosciences in the region.
- 36th IGC would provide a unique platform for knowledge and experience sharing in the field of geosciences and professional networking. It would provide first hand information on latest technologies in mining, mineral exploration and management of water, mineral resource and environment. It would also facilitate increased academic production and create opportunities for capacity building across geoscientific streams.
- The organization of the event is steered by the President and Security General of 36th IGC. President chairs the Executive Committee and the Local Organizing Committee. He is also a member of the Governing Body. Security General is a member of the Governing Body, Executive Committee and the Local Organizing Committee.
- Text : Referenced from contents provided by the proponent.