University of Delhi
A commemorative postage stamp on University of Delhi Centenary Year :
Issued by India
Issued on May 1, 2022
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Centenary Celebrations of University of Delhi and salute its contribution in nation building through excellence in education.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure/Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 1000 Paise
Stamps Printed : 674000
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- University of Delhi is celebrating its 100th year. Established in 1922, it is a premier university with an unparalleled legacy and international acclaim for highest academic standards, diverse educational programmes, distinguished faculty members, illustrious alumni, varied co-curricular activities and modern infrastructure and stands tall by all parameters. Throughout the period of its existence, the University has sustained the highest global standards and best practices to higher education. Its long-term commitment to nation-building and unflinching adherence to universal human values are reflected in its motto: ‘Nishtha Dhriti Satyam’ ‘निष्ठा धृति सत्यम्’ (Dedication, Steadfastness and Truth).
- The University was established by the Act of the then Central Legislative Assembly, with a vision of excellence in teaching, research and social outreach, has made the University a role-model and trend-setter for other universities. The President of India is the Visitor, the Vice-President is the Chancellor and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India is the Pro-Chancellor of the University. Beginning with three colleges and 750 students, it has grown into one of the largest universities in India with 16 faculties, over 80 academic departments, an equal number of colleges and about eight lakh students. Over 550 programmes are offered by the University through various Colleges, Departments and Centers. It has about 2,000 foreign students from 75 countries.
- Drawing students and faculty from across India and abroad, the University has emerged as a symbol of excellence, integrity and openness of manasA (thought), vAchA (speech) and karmana (action).
- From Sir Hari Singh Gaur, the first Vice-Chancellor to Prof Yogesh Singh, the current Vice-Chancellor, the University of Delhi has come a long way in its 100-year scintillating journey. It has provided eight Heads of the State worldwide, hundreds of lawmakers, CEOs of top 100 Fortune companies, countless movie stars, litterateurs, scientists, philanthropists, art and culture connoisseurs and sportspersons. More than hundred have been given Padma Awards. The University promotes gender equality and empowerment through a number of courses and through its policies.
- The University today boasts of a good central library 33 big libraries apart from over 80 libraries in colleges with more than 6.6 million books. The University has also laid fibre-optic network in the North and the South Campuses connecting all colleges and departments.
- When the University of Delhi expanded in many directions to keep pace with a rapidly growing city, South Campus was established in 1973. It moved to its present location of 69 acres of green, hilly terrain near Dhaula Kuan in 1984. Besides these, the University has three Health Centers with modern medical facilities. At present, both Campuses provide some residential quarters for the staff. Outstation students are offered accommodation in several hostels which include two international hostels.
- The University has maintained its top position in the country as per the Centre for World University Ranking (CWUR) and 8th position in the National Institutional Ranking Framework. It is also among the top 10 Indian public educational institutions/universities and the first among Indian public universities under QS BRICS University Rankings. The h-index of the University touched 192, one of the highest among Indian universities.
- The Vision and Mission statements of the University of Delhi reflect the resolve to assiduously pursue and achieve goals. It is committed to continue to be at the forefront of providing the best tertiary education to students and acting as a catalyst in shaping a bright and sustainable future of our nation and that of the whole world by acting as a bridge between the University community and the community at large. University of Delhi stands to foster all-round development of students through multi-faceted education and sustained engagement with local, national and global communities, and nurture lifelong inspired learners from across the globe in line with cultural ideal of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’.
- Text : Referenced from the contents provided by Prof. Amarjiva Lochan, University of Delhi.