Assam Medical College
A commemorative postage stamp on the Platinum Jubilee of Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH), formerly Berry White Medical School :
Issued by India
Issued on Nov 3, 2022
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue Commemorative Postage Stamp on 75 Years of Assam Medical College and appreciates its contribution of providing quality medical services to the entire North East India.
Stamps/FDC/Brochure : Smt. Vinita Sinha
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 211600
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Medical education took its nascent steps in North East India with the establishment of Berry White School of Medicine, Dibrugarh in 1900. Dr John Berry White was a great philanthropist who left his will, donating his entire life savings of Rs 50,000 towards the institution which produced LMP (Licentiate Medical Practitioner) doctors until before India gained independence.
- When the need of having a full-fledged medical college arose in Assam after independence, the seed sown by John Berry White ensured that Dibrugarh had the first claim to the effect. Public meetings were held and citizen groups constituted to rally for a medical college in Dibrugarh.
- Assam Medical College, as we know today started functioning from the abandoned military base hospital of US army in the 2nd World War in the Barbari area of Dibrugarh. First batch of MBBS in the year 1947 had 57 students.
- The pioneers who were instrumental in the establishment of Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh were Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi, Chief Minister, Ram Nath Das, Health Minister, Dr Bhubaneswar Borooah and others. Dr Hem Chandra Baruah was the founder principal of the college.
- At present Assam Medical College boasts of an annual intake of 200 MBBS seats and 217 Post graduate seats. Till date 9,172 MBBS graduates have qualified from its portals, are flying the flag of their alma mater high, shining in patient care, research as well as extra-curricular activities.
- The college has 28 full-fledged departments, which includes 8 (eight) super speciality departments. Whereas post graduate courses were recognized by the then MCI during the 1960s itself, the NMC has also given the green signal to DM and MCh courses in 3 (three) super speciality departments during this platinum jubilee year of the institute.
- 28th April 2022 was a red letter day in the annals of Assam Medical College, with the visit of honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. It witnessed the dawn of a new beginning in cancer care with the inauguration of the state of the art cancer hospital within the premises of the college.
- Assam Medical College has always had a very strong research foundation. It was the pioneer in establishing the model rural health research unit (MRHRU) and multidisciplinary research unit (MRU). These projects have given the much needed impetus to both community based and laboratory based research work.
- The college has 345 faculty in its rolls. About 375 nursing staff, 300 grade 3 and 500 grade 4 employees act as support system for various medical services offered by the college. The average daily outdoor attendance is 1,239 and the total indoor bed capacity is 1,365. It is the nodal centre for many national health programs, referral centre for more than 5 upper Assam districts as well as nearby states of Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland. Essentially, it provides universal health coverage to greater part of north eastern India.
- There are many allied institutes within its campus of the college, offering degree, diploma and certificate courses. Some of these are in Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing (BSc, GNM, ANM) and Paramedical sciences.
- Assam Medical College being a residential campus, provides for accommodation of both boys and girls. There are 11 undergraduate hostels and 6 post graduate hostels with in-house kitchen and dining facilities.
- Assam Medical College has produced innumerable gems who have gone on to become stalwarts in their fields of expertise. As it steps into the platinum jubilee of fruitful existence, it will continue to be a beacon of hope and care throughout the whole world.
- Text : Based on information received from the proponent.