Complete Set of 2 nos of commemorative postage stamps on the Golden Jubilee of the International Flight in India between Bombay to London on 8th June 1948 :
Issued by India
Issued on Jun 8, 1998
Issued for : The special postage stamp is issued by the Department of Post to mark the 50 years of international flights of Air-India.
Stamp, FDC & brochure : Based on the material supplied by the Air-India
Cancellation : Smt. Alka Sharma
Type : Stamps, Postal Used
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 & 600 Paise
Overall size : 3.91 x 8.70 Cms.
Printing size : 3.55 x 8.32 Cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Imported un w/m Adhesive Gravure Coated stamp paper in sheets 50.8 x 53.5 cms.
Stamps Printed : 0.7 Million
Number per issue sheet : 10 (Setenant)
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
- 50th anniversary of Air–India’s maiden international flight is a milestone in the history of India’s civil aviation. On June 8, 1948, Air-India had operated its first international flight to London via Cairo and Geneva with a Lockheed Constellation aircraft. Since then Air-India as a premium public sector company has been India’s most well-known trade mark abroad. Besides playing a pioneering role in the development of tourism in India, Air-India has also fulfilled important missions. Its role in flying home Indian nationals from Amman in 1990, when Air-India operated 459 flights to evacuate a total of 1.1 lakh people is an unparalleled performance in the history of civil aviation.
- Air-India has come a long way since its inception in October 1932, and today it is being termed as India’s finest flying ambassador. It has achieved this status by the enthusiasm and urge to excel which characterise its 18,000 employees [by 1998]. Air-India could be proud of its team which in performance coordination help to keep alive its tradition of flying high.
- Air India has a formidable fleet of aircrafts of different makes and its Boeing 747s are equipped with the latest inflight facilities including state-of-the-art entertainment system. Coupled with its excellent cuisine and the warmth of Indian hospitality, Air-India has long enjoyed a privileged status among the prestigious airlines of the world.
- Air-India operates flights from Mumbai, Calcutta, Delhi, Chennai, Trivandrum, Goa, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Ahmedabad to U.K., mainland Europe, Asia–Pacific region, Gulf & Middle East, North America and Nairobi & Dar–es–Salam in Africa. It has also increased its market access through code sharing arrangements with other national carriers.
- Significant improvements introduced in all areas of Air-India’s operations reinforces the airlines commitment to quality and insistence on high standards. Air-India has emerged as a progressive airline in tune with the times, eager to fulfil the growing needs and expectations of the jet age traveller.
- Text : Based on the material supplied by the Air-India.