High Court of Jammu & Kashmir
A commemorative postage stamp on the Jammu & Kashmir High Court :
Issued on Jul 29, 2006
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolor
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.8 Million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
- The Board of Judicial Advisers at the time of its abolition by the Constitution Act 1956 had 17 appeals pending before it. On request of the Chief Justice, the Government of India in consultation with the Chief Justice of India, constituted a Special Bench of the Supreme Court of India consisting of Justice Mehar Chand Mahajan, Chief Justice of India, Justice S.R. Das and Justice Ghulam Hassan for disposing off the pending 17 appeals. The Bench heard the appeals in Srinagar and upheld the judgement of the High Court in all the 17 appeals. It was a historic event, when a Bench of Supreme Court held sitting outside the place of seat at Delhi. On 10.9.1943, Letters Patent was conferred on the High Court.
- In 1954 vide Constitution Application Order of 1954, the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court was extended to the State of J&K. Under Art. 32 (2-A) of the Constitution of India, the State High Court was for the first time given power to issue writs for enforcement of the fundamental rights so far as they are applicable of the State of J&K. In 1957, by the Jammu and Kashmir Constitution Act, an independent judicial body with the High Court of Judicature at the top was created.
- The High Court has at present a sanctioned strength of 14 Judges including 9 Permanent Judges and 5 Additional Judges. From May to end October, The Chief Justice and the administrative Wing of High Court shifts to Srinagar and from November to end April, the HQ is at Jammu. However, Court sections of both the Jammu and Srinagar Wings of the High Court function throughout the year.