Indian Army Day 2023
A commemorative postage stamp on the 75th Year of Indian Army Day :
Issued by India
Issued on Apr 19, 2023
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue Commemorative Postage Stamp on 75th Year of Indian Army Day and salutes its ever lasting traditions of valor, heroism, sacrifice and fortitude.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Ms. Gulistaan
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 302005
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Indian Army originated from armies of the East India Company and became the British Indian Army. On 15 Jan 1949, General K.M. Cariappa took charge of Indian Army as the Commander in Chief from General Sir Francis Roy Bucher, the last British Commander-In-Chief of India in 1949. This day marks the transfer of power from the British to Independent India. Since then India celebrates Army Day on 15 January every year to honor the valor, courage and sacrifice of the Indian Army and its valiant soldiers.
- Since 1949, Army Day parade is organized in Delhi at Cariappa parade ground under the aegis of IHQ of Ministry of Defense (Army). In line with Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s vision to facilitate deeper connection with people all over the country. Army Day Parade-2023 is being organized in Bengaluru under Southern Command. Apart from the parade and equipment display, meritorious performances are awarded by Chief of Army Staff (COAS) as the chief guest of Army Day Parade.
- Indian Army’s dedication, righteous conduct, professional competence has been lauded by one and all. Die hard spirit of our soldiers make the Indian Army a formidable force in enemy’s heart. Indian Army has fought valiantly in various wars and has also proved its mettle. Indian Army has been largest troop contributor to UN peacekeeping mission since its inception.
- Indian Army is rapidly moving towards self reliance by developing and producing indigenous defence equipment within the country to achieve self reliance. Technology induction and automation in Indian Army is being adopted as a crucial component for improving defence capability and achieve military supremacy. The role of Indian Army is not limited to protection of the nation but has been instrumental in the field of sports with outstanding performances in National and International games.
- The nation is at the cusp of transformative changes driven by bold policy initiatives and enabling provisions as enunciated by the Government defining a vision, roadmap and milestones which will guide our national quest for a developed and self-reliant India. It is imperative for the Indian Army to fully align and integrate with the national goals, and concurrently keep evolving in sync with contemporary and emerging security paradigms, to remain formidable, relevant and prepared for any operational contingency.
- In spirit of pursuing this goal, the Indian Army is observing Year 2023 as “On Path to Transformation”, to set the course for its evolution to a future ready, technology driven, lethal and agile force, which establishes itself as an iron cast pillar of national power. Indian Army’s transformation strategy is based on following five key domains while ensuring Operational Preparedness to meet contemporary & emerging challenges, across the entire spectrum of conflict :-
- Modernisation and Technology Infusion.
- Force Restructuring and Optimisation.
- System, Process and Functions.
- Jointness and Integration.
- Human Resource Management.
- The Indian Army is a perfect example of gender equality as it started inducting women officers in 1992 and thereafter in Feb 2020 “Permanent Commission” (PC) to Women officers belonging to the “Services” and “Combat Support Arms” was granted.
- During the journey of 75 glorious years of Indian Army Day, Army establishments have created history with pride and are geared up to scale greater heights in the years to come. Hence it is befitting to commemorate this rich history of Indian Army by way of releasing a Commemorative Postage Stamp.
- Text : Based on information provided by the proponent.