Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
A commemorative postage stamp on the 50 years of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS), a system of central government schools in India under Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), one of world’s largest chains of schools :
Issued on Dec 15, 2014
Issued for : Department of Posts lauds the exemplary work of the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan in the field of school education, and commemorates the 50 years of its existence by issuing a Commemorative Postage Stamp.
Stamp/FDC/Cancellation Cachet : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.6 Million (0.1 million for the proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD), Government of India. It was formed through the approved scheme of Central School Organization 1962 to cater primarily to the educational needs of children of transferable Central Government Employees. The organization began with 20 Regimental Schools as Central Schools during 1963-64 and later registered as Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) on 15th December, 1965.
- Since its inception, KVS has grown in size from 20 schools to 1093 schools in 2013 located all over in India with around 10,58,450 students and 49,285 qualified teachers. The Sangathan has a three tier management structure: Headquarters, Regional Office managing a cluster of about 45-50 Kendriya Vidyalayas, and, Kendriya Vidyalayas spread all over the country and abroad, each having their own management committees. The Minister of Human Resource Development is the Chairman of the General Body of the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan and the Board of Governors, which comprises of educationists, educational administrators and Members of Parliament.
- The mission of KVS is to cater to the educational needs of the children of transferable Central Government employees, including Defence and Para-military personnel, by pursuing excellence and setting the pace in the field of school education. It also strives to initiate and promote experimentation and innovations in education, and, develop the spirit of national integration and create a sense of “Indian ness” among children.
- The Sangathan with a pan India presence comprises of co-educational, composite schools which impart inclusive education. Affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education, the institution strives to maintain excellence in academic pursuits through an ideal and updated methodology. The schools of KVS have excellent infra-structure facilities like school buildings, class rooms, science laboratories, libraries, computer labs, maths laboratories, resource rooms, etc. It ensures uniform pattern of education in all its school with vocational streams at +1 and +2 levels. KVS has recently begun teaching foreign languages like German, Chinese, French from Class VI onwards. No tuition fee is charged to boys upto Class VIII and to girls upto class XII. No fee is charged from single girl child and from children admitted under RTE Act-2009.
- The organisation nurtures all round development of a child through academic, performing and visual arts and a plethora of games and sports activity. Being a composite school system, it has designed child friendly curriculum for primary students. It has been given the status of a state for various National Level Competitions in the arena of science and sports.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.