A commemorative postage stamp on the Madras (Chennai) High Court [a part of the series ‘Centenary of High Courts‘] :
Issued on Aug 6, 1962
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Brown Madder
Denomination : 15 Naya Paise
- The High Court of Judicature at Madras was established on August 15, 1862 under Letters-Patent issued on June 26, 1862.
- The High Court is the highest Court of Civil and Criminal jurisdiction exercising Original and Appellate sides, the former being confined to the city of Madras. On the formation of the Andhra State in 1953, and the coming of States Re-organisation Act, 1959, the number of districts under the jurisdiction of the High Court was reduced. In 1955, the Original Civil jurisdiction of the High Court was curtailed and the Original Criminal jurisdiction was abolished.
- The present buildings of the High Court standing on the First line beach were occupied on July 12, 1892.
- The seal of the High Court bears the device and impression of the Asoka Capital with the ‘gopuram‘, a common feature of temples in the South, in its background in a circle. Below it appear the words ‘सत्यमेव जयते‘.