A commemorative postage stamp on the Bombay (Mumbai) High Court (1862-1962) [a part of the series ‘Centenary of High Courts‘] :
Issued by India
Issued on Aug 14, 1962
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Blue Grey
Denomination : 15 Naya Paise
- The High Court at Bombay was established on August 14, 1862 under Letters-Patent issued on June 26, 1862.
- In this case also both Original and Appellate jurisdiction were vested in it. In 1948, its Original Civil jurisdiction was reduced by the establishment of the Bombay City Civil Court and its Original Criminal jurisdiction was taken away by the setting up of the City Services Court, Greater Bombay. Re-organisation of States in 1956 enlarged the territory under its Appellate jurisdiction. As a result, separate Benches of the High Court were constituted at Nagpur and Rajkot; but the latter was abolished on the bifurcation of State of Bombay, in 1960, into the States of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- The building of the High Court, standing in the Fort area, were commenced on April 1, 1871 and completed in November 1878.
- During the century of its existence, the High Court at Bombay has been a repository of justice and the guardian of the rights and liberties of the people.