Calcutta High Court
A commemorative postage stamp on the Calcutta High Court (1862-1962), oldest High Court in India [a part of the series ‘Centenary of High Courts‘] :
Issued on Jul 1, 1962
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Olive Green
Denomination : 15 Naya Paise
- The high Court at Calcutta, formerly known as the High Court of Judicature at Fort William, was constituted under Letters-Patent issued on May 14, 1862. It was formerly inaugurated on July 1, 1862. The Indian High Court Act passed by the British Parliament on August 6, 1861, had provided for the establishment of High Courts in the presidency towns of Calcutta, Bombay and Madras, in replacement of the Courts established by the East India Company and subsequently thereto.
- The High Court has Original and Appellate sides. On the Original side, there is still prevalent the “Dual” system, under which Solicitors act and Barristers or Advocates do the pleading. The jurisdiction of the High Court extends to West Bengal and the Andaman and the Nicobar Islands.
- The present building of the High Court, of which the foundation was laid in March 1864 and which was completed in May 1872, is an imposing structure in the gothic style and stands near the junction of Esplanade West and Strand Road.
- During the hundred years of its existence, the High Court has fulfilled the motto on its book-plate ‘सर्वस्यास्य यथान्याय कर्तव्यं परिरक्षणम्‘.