A commemorative postage stamp on ‘Madurai Gandhi‘ N. M. R. Subbaraman, an Indian freedom fighter and politician from Tamil Nadu :
Issued on Jan 29, 2006
Issued for : Department of Posts is proud to issue a commemorative postage stamp in honour of Shri N.M.R. Subbaraman.
Stamp & FDC : Sankha Samanta
Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolor
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.6 Million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
Name : N. M. R. Subbaraman
Born on Aug 14, 1905 at Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
Died on Jan 25, 1983 at Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
- A doyen of Gandhian philosophy and a great freedom fighter Shri N.M.R. Subbaraman was popularly known as ‘Madurai Gandhi‘.
- He was born on 14th August 1905 at Madurai in Tamilnadu as the second son of Shri N.M. Rayalu Iyer. He was an ardent follower of Gandhiji and his ideals created a tremendous impact on his life. That is why in 1922, he refused to go to London for higher studies and joined the freedom struggle.
- In 1923, he became a primary member of Madurai District Congress Committee, and was elected the President in 1925. He was instrumental in selecting 27 youths from Madurai to participate in the Vedaranyam Salt March in 1930. In the same year, he participated in Toddy Shop picketing along with his wife and courted arrest. He took part in all Satyagraha Movements of Gandhiji. His belief on Gandhiji’s ideology and programmes was firm and unflinching.
- He was elected Chairman of Madurai Municipality from 1935 to 1942. He also held positions as a member of then Madras Legislative Assembly before and after independence. He was elected for the Lok Sabha from Madurai Constituency from 1962 to 1967.
- He was deeply committed to cause of emancipation of Harijans. His work among Harijans to bring them into the main stream of socio-political life is an example of his genuine concerns towards their plight and his relentless efforts to ameliorate their miseries. Through Tamilnadu Harijan Sevak Sangh, a unit of all India Harijan Sevak Sangh founded by Gandhiji, N.M.R. Subbaraman was instrumental in establishing a chain of Harijan Hostels.
- Shri N.M.R. Subbaraman also got deeply involved in the Bhoodan Movement started by Vinobaji and donated 100 acres.
- Shri N.M.R. Subbaraman was the Secretary of Gandhi Works Publications Committee, which brought out Gandhiji’s works in Tamil in 17 volumes and many other unique publications. When Madurai University was established in Madurai, Shri N.M.R. Subbaraman was a Member of the First Senate of the University. He was instrumental in the introduction of a course on Gandhian Thoughts for the first time in the country. He was instrumental in establishing the first Gandhi Museum in the country at Madurai. He was also the Chairman of Gandhi Niketan Ashram at T. Kallupatti near Madurai. He was closely associated with Gandhi Gram in Madurai.
- He breathed his last on 25th January 1983 but his legacy lives on.
- Text: Based on material given by the proponent.