A commemorative postage stamp on the ‘Run for Your Heart’ campaign :
Issued by India
Issued on Dec 11, 1991
Description of Designs : The stamp depicts the heart with people of all age groups running. It has been designed on the basis of material furnished by Dr. Sanjiv Malik and Dr. K.K. Aggarwal. The First Day Cover has been designed by Ms. Bharti Mirchandani. The cancellation uses the logo of the Heart Care Foundation of India and has been designed by Ms. Nenu Gupta.
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Two Colour
Denomination : 100 Paise
Overall size : 3.91 x 2.90 cms.
Printing size : 3.55 x 2.54 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Imported Un W/M Adhesive Gravure Coated Stamp Paper
Number Printed : 10,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printed : India Security Press
- Heart disease is today the single biggest killer. Rapid modernisation and fast lives have taken man away from the natural way of living. Sedentary life styles, changing diet menus for the worse and over consumption of addictive substances like tobacco and alcohol have been the end result of this ‘always on the run’ society.
- Lack of exercise has been proved to be one of the most significant causative factors of this biggest killer – heart disease. Over mechanisation and lack of time from the daily hustle and bustle have contributed even more to man becoming an in-home, in-office creature. The importance of daily exercise is now being stressed with renewed vigour.
- To make people aware of this essentially, the Heart Care Foundation of India , a voluntary charitable organisation, had organised a mammoth health awareness campaign in the form of a symbolic marathon termed ‘RUN FOR YOUR HEART’ on December 11, 1991. Being organised on Rajpath in India’s capital city, New Delhi, the Run for Your Heart had over 50,000 participants from all walks of life. Eminent cardiologists from India as well as from over the globe participated in the event being organised on the theme “Physical exercise is good for the heart”.
- The Run for Your Heart was the inaugural event of the Heart care Fortnight being organised by the Heart Care of India as a major public awareness and social service programme.
- The participants in the run included policy makers and political personalities, sports persons and athletes, film stars, school and college children, medical and para-medical staff, representatives of the armed forces and police etc. The aim is to create a phenomenal awareness about the usefulness of daily exercise including running and jogging.
- The fact that practically all sectors and strata of society participated in the run shows that we understand and that those who understand want others to understand too!
- The event was positively a precursor to the initiation of an ongoing system of public health awareness campaigns.
- Text : Courtesy Heart Care Foundation of India.