Sacred Heart Church, Pondicherry
A commemorative postage stamp on the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Puducherry :
Issued by India
Issued on Jun 19, 2009
Issued for : India Post is happy to issue a stamp on Sacred Heart Church, Puducherry.
Stamp, FDC & Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp on Information Brochure with first day cancellation
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Wet–offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Sacred Heart Church is a milestone in the history of French rule. French missionaries dreamt to establish Sacred Heart’s devotion in India specially in Puducherry.
- During this time Rt. Rev. Gandy the Archbishop of Puducherry, seeing the spread of devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus throughout the world, offered Puducherry to the patronage of Sacred Heart of Jesus on 23rd June, 1895.
- It was the joint venture of Rt. Rev. Archbishop Gandy and Rev. Fr. Telesfore Welter to establish a new church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Puducherry town.
- Rev. Fr. Telesfore Welter, the parish priest of Nellithope had prepared the building plan and the Parish Priest of Cathedral Rev. Fr. Fourcaud commenced the construction of the new Church in 1902 at the Southern side of the Puducherry town. The first mass and the blessing of the Church was held on 17th December, 1907. The new Parish surrounding the Church got established in 1908.
- This 100 years old historical Church is 50 meters long, 48 meters wide and 18 meters high with Latin rite cross shape in aerial view is in Gothic style. 24 main columns hold the structure in which we see the biblical word on entrance written on Latin “I have consecrated this house that my name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will be there forever.” Which reveals the presence of the Sacred Heart of Lord Jesus Christ. Also the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mother Mary carved in the entrance door welcome us. The church is marked by rose windows, twin spires and huge exterior. The inside work of the Church is a magnificent combination of Indo European architecture. Walls adorned with Terracotta motifs are a typical south Indian style occupying space with stunning stained glass paintings. Inside the church one can see glass pictures of 28 saints who were related to the devolution of Sacred Heart of Jesus including that of Joan of Arc. A striking figure of art is the statue of Madonna placed at the right side of the high alter. The statue is draped with the blue sari. Another notable feature of the Church is the special use of colour. The colours stand out with a brilliant mix of deep red, dark green and white. There are stained glass panels that depict the entire life of Jesus Christ.
- This 100 years old Church has been led by twenty Parish Priests. The Grotto for Our Lady of Lourdes, Parish Hall, Adoration Chapel and the new parish community hall were some of the developments of this Church in the last 50 years.
- After arrival of present Parish Priest Rev. Fr. A. Thomas the Church has been fully renovated and illuminated in and out.
- Text : As per the material provided by the proponent.