A postage stamp on the Nature Conservation Series “Dragonfly” (Boninthemis insularis) :
Issued by Japan
Issued on Sep 14, 1977
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 50 yen
Size of impression : 35.5 mm x 25 mm
Stamp quantity : 30,000,000
- A 50 yen postage stamp featuring “Shimaakane” as the 17th in the Nature Conservation Series of postage stamps has been issued.
- “Shimaakane” belongs to Libellulidae of Odonata and is a species of the “Akane” dragonflies. Its body measures about 40 mm and the hind wings about 30 mm. It is slender and medium in size.
- The body is black, in front of the head yellow and the upper forehead indigo and shiny. The chest is black and has irregular yellow dots. The abdomen is slender, being in dark red color or orange and black colors. The wings are narrow in width and transparent. The patterns along the edges are blackish brown.
- Being a species unique to the Ogasawara Islands. “Shimaakane” breed in the islands of Chichijima, Hahajima and Mukaijima in May to August.
- “Shimaakane” was designated as a natural monument on April 12, 1969, as there was danger that it would cease to exist with the development of the islands.