A commemorative postage stamp on Shyam Narayan Singh, an Indian freedom fighter from Bihar :
Issued on Jan 24, 2012
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to commemorate this brave son of India with the issue of a Postage Stamp.
Stamp/FDC : Brahm Prakash
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.3 Million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
- Shyam Narayan Singh (1901-1968) was a courageous freedom fighter and long serving legislator from Bihar. He is also remembered for his association with Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, and other senior leaders of his era.
- The freedom movement had inspired Shyam Narayan Singh at a young age, and he actively participated in various struggles that Bihar witnessed. He was targeted by the authorities, and starting with a nine-month prison term in 1937, he came into confrontation with the foreign rulers on many occasions. There was a shoot at sight order on him during the 1942 agitation.
- Singh grasped the significance of electoral politics early, and was a member of the legislature for many years, starting from 1937. He was the last person in the agitation of 1947 in Patna to speak against the British rule at the Secretariat, which was followed by police firing. Seven young men died in the firing. One of Patna‘s most recognized memorials, the Martyrs’ Memorial or “Shaheed Smarak“, has been built at this spot.
- Singh was also remembered for his efforts to upgrade the educational standards in the State. He advocated many steps in this regard, in the capacity of District Board Chairman and member of the Patna University Senate.
- Shyam Narayan Singh is also remembered for the incident of saving around 6,000 lives belonging to the minority community during the 1946 communal riots. He gave them shelter in a garden located behind his family temple, ignoring the threat to his own life.
- Text : P.N. Ranjit Kumar (Based on the material received from the proponent.)