Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
Complete set of 2 commemorative postage stamps on Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) – India at 75 :
Issued by India
Issued on Feb 11, 2023
Issued for : Department of Posts is delighted to issue Commemorative Postage Stamp, on Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav and salutes to the Spirit of India, proud of its rich past & heritage and committed to the future of Viswa Guru Bharat.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure/Cancellation cachet : Shri Sankha Samanta
Type : Se–tenant pair of 2 Stamps, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise (2)
Stamps Printed : 201600 each
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) is a landmark initiative of the Government of India to celebrate and commemorate 75 years of independence and the glorious history of its people, culture, and achievements. This Mahotsav is dedicated to the people of India who have not only been instrumental in bringing India thus far in its evolutionary journey but also hold within them the power and potential to enable Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of activating India 2.0, fuelled by the spirit of Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- The official journey of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav commenced on 12th March 2021 from Sabarmati Ashram where a symbolic ‘Dandi Yatra’ was flagged off by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. This started a 75-week countdown to our 75th anniversary of Independence and will conclude, post a year on 15th August, 2023.
- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav has been powered by the enthusiasm, love for the nation and participation of all stakeholders. The events and initiatives of Amrit Mahotsav cover the length and breadth of India and the world. Till date more than 1.5 lakh events have been held under the aegis of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav. These events have happened across different locations within India covering all of the States and Union Territories as well as across 150+ countries, globally.
- Amrit Mahotsav events are high on Janbhagidari (people participation) bringing in people from all walks of life representing a ‘Whole of Society’ approach with many programmes and events being directly initiated by organisations and groups representing civil society.
- During the Har Ghar Tiranga initiative, held in August 2022, more than 6 crore selfies with flag were recorded and people from all walks of life joined the Tiranga Rallies being held across the length and breadth of India and across foreign locations.
- A key feature of Amrit Mahotsav is the commemoration of Unsung Heroes of freedom struggle & highlighting the role of people in our Independence movement. The AKAM website has a special section on Unsung Heroes which is an attempt to recall and remember forgotten heroes of our freedom struggle, many of whom might be renowned yet unknown to the new generation. Different events commemorating birth and death anniversaries of freedom fighters and important milestones connected to the struggle for Independence are an important part of the AKAM event calendar. Picture books that chronicle the contributions of women and tribals in the freedom struggle of India have also been released to enable children to easily connect with the stories that facilitated our freedom and progress over time.
- Digital District Repository is another special initiative of AKAM that chronicles district wise narratives of our history and heritage. It stemmed from the central thought that history is not only about the landmark events, it finds shape and character in the myriad events that led up to a flashpoint of change. Interesting facts that there are prison cells in IIT or that 2 freedom fighters were shot dead inside what is now an IIT in an incident, known later as the “Hijli firing”, when twenty nine rounds were fired on unarmed prisoners, have been highlighted over events.
- Amrit Mahotsav is also about looking towards the future as we navigate through ‘Amrit Kaal’ (the journey from Now to India@100). One important aspect of looking into the future is spotlighting and celebrating startups, entrepreneurs, and innovation. Smart India Hackathon 2022 is a nationwide initiative to provide students a platform to solve some of the pressing problems we face in our daily lives, and thus inculcate a culture of product innovation and a mindset of problem solving. Another part of fueling a growth culture in encouraging curiosity and celebrating the role of science & scientists in the progress of our nation. A week-long event titled ‘Vigyan Sarvatra Pujyate’ was held last year in 75 locations across the length and breadth of the country. To honor this intent, it will be repeated this year with increased scope and scale. ‘Swadeshi Scientists’ is a series of event curated as part of Amrit Mahotsav that chronicles the role of scientists in the freedom struggle and in helping realize India’s ‘Atmanirbhar’ goals.
- Text : Ministry of Culture.