Raj Bhavan, Uttar Pradesh
A commemorative postage stamp on the Raj Bhavan, the official residence of the Governor of Uttar Pradesh :
Issued by India
Issued on Jun 20, 2023
Issued for : In the celebration year of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, Department of Posts is feeling proud to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on the historical and gorgeous Raj Bhavan Uttar Pradesh.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Ms. Gulistaan
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 301800
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Raj Bhavan Uttar Pradesh is a historic, magnificent building situated in the heart of Lucknow and is the official residence of the Governor of Uttar Pradesh. This grand building, surrounded by lush green gardens and beautiful landscapes was built in 1798 by French architect Claude Martin. Initially it was called “Kothi Hayat Baksh (Abode of gift of life)”. It was the residence of the British Governors of the United Provinces and later served as the residence of the Governor of Uttar Pradesh after India’s Independence in 1947.
- Raj Bhavan Uttar Pradesh is a double storey building with high varandas, lofty ceilings and abundant greenery. Main building has large airy porticos, meeting halls and housing facilities for guests. Gandhi Sabhagaar has beautiful flower decoration on side walls and ceiling with golden color traditional paintings. It also houses selective collection of sculptures and monuments of great legends in Kala kaksh.
- Raj Bhavan is a unique building having Indo-European architecture that reflects the rich cultural heritage and the grand history of Uttar Pradesh. The construction of the building is a testament to the skill and craftsmanship of the architects and artisans who built it. It is also known for its iconic features such as its grand walls adorned with beautiful carvings and integrated designs. It has a sprawling campus of 52 acres that adds to its beauty and charm. Colorful gardens, cool fountains, beautiful trees, panchtantra (fitness area of children) and chirping birds also enhance its beauty.
- Raj Bhavan Uttar Pradesh has silently witnessed around 225 years of history of Awadh. This great building faced many ups and downs and played a very significant role in the Indian freedom struggle by providing a platform for political dialogue and protest and by serving as a symbol of British colonial power that was challenged by the Indian people’s quest. Many important political and administrative decisions have been taken in this building over the years.
- Text : Based on information provided by the proponent.