Greater Bombay Municipal Corporation Building
A commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of the Municipal Corporation Building, Mumbai : BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation Building (BMC) :
Issued by India
Issued on Jul 31, 1993
Issued for : The cultural heritage of a nation gets reflected in all creative activities of which architectural creations are excellent examples. Commemorative stamps issued by the Department have often reflected such themes in the past. The Department of Posts, therefore, takes pleasure in adding to its list of such significant commemorative issues with this stamp on the Greater Bombay Municipal Corporation Building marking the 100 years of its construction.
Design : The First Day Cover shows the Emblem of the Corporation adopted in 1955. Apart from the outlines of the Gateway of India, the emblem has a symbolic factory shade in wheel signifying industrial importance of Bombay. The sailing ships and the diagram of the Corporation building highlight Bombay’s pre-eminence as a port and as the seat of local self government.
Design Credits :
Stamp : India Security Press, Nashik
F.D.C. : Greater Bombay Municipal Corporation, Bombay
Cancellation : Shri D.R. Pednekar
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 200 Paise
Overall size : 3.91 x 2.90 cms.
Printing size : 3.55 x 2.54 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Imported un W/M gravure coated adhesive Stamp paper in sheet 50.8 x 53.5 cms.
Number of stamps Printed : 1 Million
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press
- The building housing the headquarters of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Bombay completes 100 years of its construction on 31 July 1993.
- The building is a land-mark of Bombay and has been identified as a heritage structure by the State Government. It is an architectural marvel in Gothic style with sand-stone masonry for its external walls, beautiful domes and Mangalore-tiles forming the roof and exquisite art-work in stone and wood adorning its interior. Designed by Mr. F.W. Stevens, construction of this prestigious building was entrusted to an Indian contractor who could complete this formidable task in about three and a half years between April 1889 and July 1893, at a cost of just over Rs. 1.1 million. The building is mainly three storeyed with an area of around 39000 Sq. ft. on each floor, while the central tower block is six storeyed high with the top dome at a height of 210 feet. Since its construction the building has been used by the Mayor, the Municipal Commissioner and for the offices of all essential civic services. It also contains the Corporation Hall which is impressive in its design and can accommodate 221 councillors and the staff. This Hall has been used for the meetings of the Corporation ever since July 1893.
- The towering façade of the building provides the back-drop for the imposing statue of Sir Pherozeshah Merwanjee Mehta, acknowledged author of the Bombay Municipal Act of 1888 which continues to govern the working of the Corporation even today.