Chaitya Bhoomi, Mumbai
A commemorative postage stamp on the Chaitya Bhumi, Mumbai – Samadhi place of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar :
Issued on Apr 14, 2013
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to release a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Chaitya Bhoomi.
Stamp/FDC : Brahm Prakash
Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.725 Million (0.115 million for the proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : India Security Press, Nasik
- Chaitya Bhoomi is the tribute of a grateful nation to the memory of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, popularly known as Babasaheb, who was born on 14th April, 1891 in a Mahar family at Mhow, Madhya Pradesh.
- After his early education in the then Bombay, he went abroad for higher studies. On returning to India in 1923, he started a campaign aimed at annihilation of caste and reconstruction of the Indian society on the basis of equality of human beings, He stood for a united self-governing community of Indians with special constitutional safeguards for the depressed classes. It is a tribute to his patriotism and erudition that independent India decided to make use of his talents to consolidate the gains of freedom. As Minister of Law and Chairman of the Drafting Committee, Dr. Ambedkar played a leading role in the framing of the Indian Constitution. As an authority on Constitutional Law, his influence on politics, social reform, education and religion has been enormous.
- On 14th October, 1956, Babasaheb embraced Buddhism. He continued the crusade for the upliftment of the downtrodden till his death on 6th December, 1956 at Delhi. His body was brought to Rajgriha at Dadar, Mumbai on the following day where his last rites were performed at a crematorium near the sea shore at Shivaji Park.
- Chaitya Bhoomi was erected in 1962 at the place where his last rites were performed. Lakhs of people from all parts of the country still visit this place every year to pay homage to this great son of India.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.