A commemorative postage stamp on the Birth Anniversary of Sir K.V.A.R. (Kottaiyur Veerappa Alagappa Ramanatha) Alagappa Chettiar, an Indian industrialist :
Issued by India
Issued on Apr 6, 2007
Issued for : The Department of Posts is proud to release a commemorative postage stamp on Dr. Alagappa Chettiar.
Stamp and FDC : Brahm Prakash
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nasik
Name : Kottaiyur Veerappa Azhagappa Ramanathan Chettiar
Born on Apr 6, 1909 at Kottaiyur, Sivaganga district, Tamilnadu, India
Died on Apr 5, 1957
- Apart from founding a galaxy of educational.institutions, Dr. Chettiar gave generous donations to Annamalai University for establishing an Engineering College. The reputed Ramanujam Institute of Mathematical Sciences, in memory of the Mathematical Genius Ramanujam, in Chennai was the brain child of Dr. Alagappa Chettiar.
- Dr. Chettiar, at the instance of Mahatma Gandhi also founded the “Thakkar Baba Vidyalaya” which was inaugurated by Mahatma Gandhi himself. A township near Trichur called Alagappapuram, a Polytechnic and a Maternity Home at Trichur, the research department of Indigenous Medicine in Maharaja College, Ernakulam and Tamil Research Department of Trivandrum University stand testimony to his breadth of vision.
- RM. Alagappa Chettiar was conferred the distinction of Padma Bhushan by the President of India on January 26th 1956. Within a span of two decades, he demonstrated his versatility as a successful business tycoon and an intrepid academician with a vision to change the mere scrub jungle of Karaikudi to an educational Mecca. When he passed away prematurely at the age of 48, Dr. Alagappa Chettiar had redefined philanthropy and contributed more to the betterment of education in Tamil Nadu than any other person of eminence had done until then.
- At the tender age of 48, he succumbed to his illness and passed away on April 5th, 1957, but his legacy lives on.
- Text : Based on material provided by the proponent.