India on Franklin Delano Roosevelt
A commemorative postage stamp on the Birth Centenary of Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR), 32nd President of the United States (1933-45) :
Issued by India
Issued on Jan 30, 1983
Issued for : Indian Posts and Telegraphs Department is happy to issue a commemorative stamp in honour of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
Description of Designs : The stamp shows Roosevelt with his stamp album. The stamp and first day cover have been designed by India Security Press. Cancellation has been designed by Charanjit Lal.
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Dark Brown
Denomination : 325 Paise
Overall size : 4.06 x 2.73 cms.
Printing size : 3.71 x 2.38 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Unwatermarked P.G. matt coated stamp paper
Number printed : 20,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 40
Printing process : Photogravure
Printed at : India Security Press
Name : Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Born on Jan 30, 1882 at Hyde Park, New York, U.S.
Died on Apr 12, 1945 at Warm Springs, Georgia, U.S.
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt was born on January 30, 1882 at Hyde Park, New York, as the only son of James Roosevelt and Sara Delano Roosevelt. Privately educated, he attended Groton and Harvard, as well as Columbia University. He was admitted to the Bar in 1907.
- After an illustrious career as New York State Senator, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, and two-term Governor of New York State, he served as U.S. President from 1933 to 1945, having been elected for an unprecedented third and fourth term.
- Although he was a victim of poliomylitis, which he contracted in 1921, he served his country with great vigour and provided leadership which was badly needed in those days.
- As U.S. President he inaugurated the ‘New Deal‘ Programme to overcome the great depression, was responsible for public works on a vast scale, and for farm subsidies and legislation to control relations between capital and labour. During his administration the much needed and long overdue social legislation was enacted which serves as a lasting memorial to him.
- His many hobbies included stamp collecting and through his serious interest in this avocation, he provided considerable support for it in the United States and throughout the world. The Franklin D. Roosevelt Philatelic Society of St. Augustine, Florida is named in his honour.
- He died on April 12, 1945 at Warm Springs, Georgia and was laid to rest at Hyde Park, New York.
- (Text by courtesy : The Franklin D. Roosevelt Philatelic Society, U.S.A.)