A commemorative postage stamp on the 50th Anniversary of Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), one of the seven Central Armed Police Forces of India :
Issued on Oct 1, 2012
Issued for : Department of Posts salutes the service of the personnel of Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force by releasing a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force.
Stamp / FDC : Suresh Kumar
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.55 Million (0.25 million for the proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force (ITBPF) was raised in the wake of the Chinese conflict on October 24, 1962 under the CRPF Act. In 1992, the Parliament also enacted the ITBPF Act. ITBPF has raised its first Mahila battalion in January 2010.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force is a versatile force capable of functioning in diverse terrain and in most challenging climatic conditions. Starting with only 4 battalions it has grown into 45 Service and 4 Specialist Battalions. It has been entrusted with the responsibility of guarding the 3488 km long India – China border from Karakoram Pass in Ladakh to Jachep La in Arunachal Pradesh. ITBPF provides security to VVIP/VlPs and protects vital installations. It also provides security cover to the yatris of Kailash Mansarover Yatra. It played an important role in combating militancy in Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and the North–East and has now been inducted in Chhattisgarh for anti-Naxal operations.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force has played an important role in UN peace keeping efforts in strife torn countries like Angola, Namibia, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc. Presently Formed Police Unit (FPU) with 125 personnel has been sent to the Democratic Republic of Congo for peace keeping operations under the aegis of the United Nations. A team of elite ITBPF Commandos has been providing security to the Indian Embassy and its Consulates in Afghanistan. Keeping in view its vital contribution to peace keeping operations, Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has designated ITBPF as a nodal agency in India for coordination of United Nations Selection Assistance Team (UNSAT) tests and conduct pre-induction training to Indian police officers going for UN mission. Apart from international expeditions, ITBPF is providing internal security assistance to various State Governments. It also played an important role in internal security during the Commonwealth Games, 2010. ITBPF has been designated as the First Responder in the Himalayan region for Disaster Management Operations. It has carried out major relief and rescue operations during earthquakes landslides and floods.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force uses state-of-the-art technology like modern weaponry, advanced communication systems, surveillance equipments, electronic gadgetry, weapon simulators and high powered vehicles like the Stallion and LPTA for high altitudes. Great emphasis has also been given on computerization and e-governance. Personnel information kiosks have been established for the Jawans for getting information on pay and other service details.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force is known for its excellence in training. The ITBP Mountaineering and Skiing Institute at Auli is one of the premier institute for training in winter warfare, ice craft and Antarctica bound expeditions. The ITBP Academy at Mussoorie has been declared as a Centre of Excellence. ITBPF has also established a Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare (CIJW) School in Uttarakhand.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force is a mountain oriented force. Its personnel are skilled mountaineers, skiers and rafters who have scaled almost all the peaks of the Himalayas, including Mount Everest and rafted down mighty Indian rivers. Its personnel have excelled in sporting events also. Ms Kalpana Devi from ITBPF was the first ever Indian woman judoka to win a bronze medal in the World Cup. ITBPF personnel have been awarded several awards and medals by the Government for distinguished and meritorious services.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.