3 Kumaon (Rifles)
A commemorative postage stamp on 100 years (1917-2017) of 3rd Battalion, Kumaon Regiment (Rifles) of the Indian Army :
Issued by India
Issued on Oct 23, 2017
Issued for : In light of the distinguished service rendered by the Battalion to the Nation both in Operational and Peacetime Conditions, Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on 3 Kumaon (Rifles).
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Shri Kamleshwar Singh
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 601200
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- 3 Kumaon (Rifles) was raised on 23 October 1917 at Sitoli near Almora (Uttarakhand). This was the first Kumaoni Battalion of the British Indian Army. Prior to the raising of the Battalion, the Kumaonis used to get themselves recruited in various State Forces and irregular units. The fact that this unit gave the Kumaonis their first Battalion is a matter of great pride and honour for all ranks of the Regiment and the Unit. Since its raising, the Battalion has been in the forefront in almost all operations and wars conducted by the Indian Army. In its journey of hundred years ever since, the Battalion has served in varied terrain, participated in numerous operations pre and post independence wars, deployed in United Nation Missions and has distinguished itself in all spheres. The Battalion is completing 100 years of distinguished and dedicated service to the Nation on 23 October 2017.
- The Battalion had the honour of participating in most of the wars/campaigns in Pre and Post Independent India including World War-I, NWFF, World War-II, Indo-Sino War 1962, Indo-Pak War 1948, 1965 and 1971. The Battalion has been actively participating in guarding the nation in Field, Line of Control, Counter Insurgency/Counter Terrorism and High Altitude operations. The Battalion was earmarked for deployment in United Nations Peace Keeping Force in the Democratic Republic of Congo from 3rd April 2012 to 1st August 2013. The Battalion is decorated with numerous gallantry awards and honours. During its valiant act the Battalion has a number of Martyrs who sacrificed their lives to safeguard the Country.
- 3 Kumaon (Rifles) has many decorations and awards to its credit such as one Battle Honour, a Theatre Honour, two Coveted Chief of the Army Staff Unit Citations, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief Northern Command Unit Appreciation and Force Commander’s Unit Citation in UN Mission in Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO). In addition, numerous individual awards have been earned by the Soldiers of the unit for their devotion to duty.
- The Battalion is completing 100 years of distinguished and dedicated service to the Nation on 23 Oct 2017. Celebration of this event serves to motivate and enthuse the present generation by making them aware of the past glory, valour and achievements of the Battalion.
- Text : Based on the material received from proponent.