SCO Council of Heads of State – 2023
A commemorative postage stamp on the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) Council of Heads of State :
Issued by India
Issued on Jun 15, 2023
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on the occasion of India’s first-ever Chairmanship of SCO Council of Heads of State.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure/Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 203100
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is a multilateral organization founded in Shanghai on 15 June 2001. The SCO currently comprises eight Member States – China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- India’s engagement with SCO started in 2005 as an Observer State and India became a full-fledged member on 9 June 2017 at the summit in Astana. India attaches special importance to SCO in promoting multilateral, political, security, economic and people-to-people interaction in the region and values its relationship with the Organisation. India considers SCO as an important regional organisation to promote cooperation in the areas of peace, security, trade, economy and culture and is committed to widening cooperation by playing a proactive, positive and constructive role in the organisation. Though, India became a member of SCO only in June 2017, our traditional and historical ties with SCO countries are a millennia-old. These bonds of history and geography make us natural partners of SCO Member States.
- India assumed the Chairmanship of the SCO Council of Heads of State on 17 September 2022 as per rotation from the previous Chair – Uzbekistan. This is a historic event, as India took over the Chairmanship of the highest decision-making body of the organisation for the first time and will host the 23rd session of the SCO Council of Heads of State (CHS) chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 4th July 2023.
- The overarching theme of India’s Chairmanship was ‘Towards a SECURE SCO’, drawing from Prime Minister’s vision for the organization i.e. ‘S’ for security for citizens, ‘E’ for economic development, ‘C’ for connectivity in the region, ‘U’ for unity, ‘R’ for respect of sovereignty and integrity, and ‘E’ for environment protection. Several events and meetings were organized during India’s Chairmanship of SCO including regular meetings of Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Defence, Culture, Tourism, Environment, Commerce to further expand cooperation among the SCO Member States. Varanasi (Kashi) was also celebrated as the first-ever Cultural and Tourist capital of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation 2022-23 during India’s chairmanship. A series of Workshops, Conferences, Seminars and Cultural Activities were conducted throughout the year that received enthusiastic participation from all Member States.
- Text : Referenced from content provided by Ministry of External Affairs.