Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics, Bombay
A commemorative postage stamp on the 75th Anniversary of the Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai :
Issued on Apr 19, 1989
Description of Designs : The stamp has been designed by India Security Press, Nashik Road based on the design supplied by the college authorities, the first day cover and cancellation by Nenu Gupta on the basis of design supplied by the college authorities.
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Denomination : 60 Paise
Colour : Single Colour
Overall size : 3.91 x 2.90 cms.
Printing size : 3.55 x 2.54 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Indigenous unwatermarked adhesive gravure coated stamp paper
Number Printed : 10,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printed : India Security Press
- Sydenham college is known for having pioneered commerce education in the country. It was set up by the then Government of Bombay Province in October, 1913. It was named after Lord Sydenham of Combe, the Governor of Bombay. Sydenham has grown into a premier institution of India imparting instruction in commerce courses of the University of Bombay. Mr. Percey Anstey was the first regular principal of the college.
- Sydenham college has aptly chosen “Labour Omina Vincit” (Labour conquers all) as its motto. For three quarters of a century, it has provided the stimuli and offered innumerable opportunities for the all round development of its students. In Sydenham, academic excellence is not regarded as an end in itself, but as a means to an end. Extra curricular and co-curricular activities are given sizeable importance to ensure an overall development of the personality of students. The alumni of Sydenham are legion; but each one has a common identity as a Sydenhamite.
- In 1988, the college saw a massive outpouring of goodwill on the occasion of its Amrut Mahotsava (Platinum Jubilee). Sydenham has grown from a tiny sapling into a massive tree with roots in a thousand places in the hearts of its alumni.
- Today Sydenham has the following Departments, Commerce, Business Economics, Accountancy, Business Communications, Mercantile Law, Mathematics and Statistics. It has a full time staff of about 30 teachers and an equal number of part time teachers. It has a well equipped library also.
- Text based on material supplied by Sydenham college of Commerce and Economics, Bombay.